Cybercriminals are taking advantage of this unprecedented situation which has led to a huge spike in malicious COVID-19 ‘phishing’ emails, which attempt to trick users into clicking on bad links. Leading to loss of money or sensitive data.
These emails can range from HMRC fake emails, donation type emails, Coronavirus medical advice and even ones relating to finding a cure! The BBC has put together some useful examples, https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51838468
The best advice for everyone is ‘think before you click’.
What do I do if I think I’ve received a fake or phishing email?
If you believe you’ve received a phishing email, mark it as Spam/Junk or Suspicious, this will move the email out of your Inbox and notify your email provider that it is potentially unsafe.
- DO NOT forward the email to colleagues or others
- DO NOT click any link within the email
- DO NOT open any attachments within the email
- DO NOT reply to the email
What if I’ve already clicked?
- Do not provide any data and disconnect from the internet.
- If you’re using a device provided by your company, contact your IT Department straightaway – remember do not forward the original scam email.
- If you have anti-virus software, open this and run a full scan on your device and follow the instructions.
- If you have provided your password as a result of following the link, change your passwords on all other accounts.
- If you have been tricked into handing over money or giving access to online bank accounts, contact your bank immediately and also report it as a crime to Action Fraud, actionfraud.police.uk
It’s not just emails
Phishing links can also be found in text messages, mobile app messages, social media posts and Google calendar invites.
Remember – think before you click
If you believe you have received a phishing link in any format, ‘think before you click’ on whatever device you’re using. If in doubt, don’t click it.
QASSS can help
At QASSS, our IT support solution provides comprehensive services that can help you with network and security, alongside a host of other services. We can deliver a range of bespoke solutions and innovate IT services to meet your changing needs and budget. We can also help you with urgent issues and advice. Call Nisar Raja, IT Infrastructure Manager on 0330 335 3354 or email email@example.com